Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Borrowed from the Boys

I'm a big advocate for tailored, business casual looks, despite the "overcasualization" of our society (as evidenced by the growing trend of companies continuing the 1990s tech company trend of listing "Wear jeans to work!" under employment benefits). There's something so timeless, respectful, and intentional about it that I really appreciate. Anyway, because of this it should come as no surprise that I'm also quite a fan of androgynous attire.

The Fall 2013 Men's collections have been showing these past few weeks, and while there's a lot more hubbub that surrounds womenswear, it doesn't mean that we can't learn a thing or two from  the boys. :) Here are some of my favorite looks that I'd totally love to populate my closet with...

Contrasting lapels were in practically every collection that showed, and they're just the kind of subtlety and attention to detail that makes me swoon over fashion. Go with color-blocking for a more casual look or contrasting textures or prints for a more luxurious night look.
You don't have to look too far to find a sharp suit during Men's Fashion Week. What really caught my eye was again the textures and prints that are less common in women's lines. But I suppose it helps when you send dozens of suits down the runway rather than just one or two. I'm especially fond of this iridescent plaid Vivienne Westwood - so much depth!
I appreciate the light and airy feel of Spring shows, but I adore gorgeous outerwear of the Fall collections. There were a lot of various plaids, fur collars, and even prints somehow bordering on both whimsical and baroque.
Then there are a couple of standout separates. Remember when Kanye attended fashion week and fell so in love with a women's Celine top that he wore it shortly after? I can officially relate, thanks to this D&G lasercut blazer, embellished Headham Kirchhoff shirt, Phillip Lim pants, and Calvin Klein vest. These unique statement pieces are stunning, no matter who - or what gender - is wearing them.


(Women's Pre-Fall collections also came out recently week. Check out my Pinterest board to see my favorite picks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment